Sign-up progress display.
The display on the left is scaled for our goal is for 360 out of a possible 480 premises signed up for services. When the display hits 100% we’ve met our goal.
Note that this display is updated manually and although we’ll try to updated it at least once every day, at any given time it may be slightly behind.
Currently no one has signed up. But it’s early on the first day when people can sign up so what can you expect.
Sign Up and Installation FAQs have been added to the Resources section below.
Update for September 16, 2019
Internet Distribution Fiber Build has Begun
Today crews began installing fiber along the roads in New Salem! This installation along the roads will provide the backbone off of which individual homes and businesses will connect to our high-speed fiber network. You will see crews along the roads completing various stages of this process over the next several months. Please use extra caution when passing their work areas. It is fine if you want to thank the crews, but we would request that you not engage them in conversation or ask them questions about the project. They are not the people that can answer questions and we want them to get their work done as quickly as possible. Any questions you have can be directed to the Broadband Committee at email@example.com.
Special Town Meeting Results
The Special Town Meeting passed the warrant article requesting a debt-exclusion vote for a $500,000 increase in the borrowing capacity to fund the completion of the town fiber internet project. The final decision on the funding will be through a debt-exclusion vote which will be scheduled at a later date.
Sign-up Begins Saturday, September 21
The link for sign-ups will go live this Saturday. We will be holding an informational and sign-up launch event at the Swift River School at 10:00am. You do not need to attend the event to sign-up but please come if you have questions regarding the internet and/or phone services and equipment, installation process or streaming TV over the internet. These topics and more will be covered by the professionals from Whip City Fiber, the Internet Service Provider with whom New Salem, as part of WiredWest, will be working.
Important Sign-up Details
- Sign-ups will take place online. A sign-up link will be available on this site starting Sept. 21. A sign-up FAQ is located on this page (see below).
- You do not have to attend an event to sign-up.
- Initial sign-ups will run from Sept. 21 through Oct. 31.
- For home with underground utilities: Please sign up as soon as possible. We want to install conduit for underground installations before the ground freezes. Consultations and conduit installations will only be offered to homes that have signed up for service.
- You will need an email in order to sign up as all bills will be sent to you by email.
- All service payments will be made online.
- You will not be billed until your service is installed and activated.
- Even if you signed up for WiredWest and gave a $49 deposit, you will need to sign up again. The $49 deposit plus interest will be applied as a credit on your first bill.
- There will be a one-time activation fee of $99 that will appear on your first bill.
- Costs for installations are still to be determined. Our hope is to fully cover this expense for the vast majority of subscribed premises.
- Renters: Please work with your landlord since only the homeowners can authorize installation.
Please note: These prices are dependent on at least 75% of the homes in New Salem signing up for service. The Broadband Committee recommends that users select the 1 gigabit service. Not only is this forty times faster than the economy plan for only a minimal cost increase, but the extra cost will benefit the town by making the system more financially secure and less dependent on the town for any funding.
To simplify communication as the project moves forward, we are requesting that New Salem residents supply us with their email address.
- You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, New Salem property address and your preferred email address. Alternatively, there is a display at the library with forms that can be completed with this information.
- If you do not have an email address we can provide help to sign up for one. You can find forms to request this assistance at the library. You will need an email address to sign up for a New Salem internet connection when it become available.
More to come…
New Salem Broadband Committee
19 South Main Street
New Salem, MA 01355