Sign Up and Installation FAQs have been added to the Resources section below.
Update for September 6, 2019
Sign-ups for the New Salem Fiber Internet service to begin on Saturday, September 21!!
Important Sign-up Details:
- Sign-ups will take place online*.
- You do not have to attend an event to sign-up. Instructions for sign-up will be available online at the time of sign-up and in our FAQ’s at www.wiredwest.net/towns/newsalem/.
- We will supply the sign-up link soon.
- Sign-ups will run from September 21 through October 31.
- For homes with underground utilities: Please sign-up as soon as possible as we want to install conduit for underground installations before the ground freezes. We will only have consultations and conduit installations with homes that have signed up for service.
- You will need an email in order to sign-up as all bills will be sent to you by email and all service payments will need to be made online.
- You will not be billed until your service is installed in your home and is activated.
- Even if you signed up for WiredWest and gave a $49 deposit, you will need to sign up again. The $49 deposit you made will be applied, with interest, as a credit on your first bill.
- There will be a one-time activation fee of $99 that will appear on your first bill.
- Costs for installations are still to be determined. Our hope is to fully cover this expense for the vast majority of residents.
*Note to renters: Please work with your landlord since only homeowners can authorize installation. After installation, your landlord can transfer the service to you.
The Sign-up Launch Event to be held in the cafeteria at the Swift River School at 10:00am on Saturday, September 21 will be an informational session as well as an opportunity to sign-up with assistance. Staff from Westfield Gas & Electric (our project partner) and Whip City Fiber (WiredWest/New Salem’s Internet Service Provider) will be giving presentations on the sign-up process, installation, service options, phone specifics, streaming basics and more. They will also be on hand to answer questions following the presentations. There will be an opportunity for assisted sign-ups at the end of the meeting. When you sign-up, we recommend that you set up automatic payment from your checking account as it will be the most convenient option for you and most cost-effective for our town network. For this purpose, please bring a check/bank account information if you plan to sign up at the meeting.
Town Meeting on September 16th
Completing the New Salem Broadband Project
A Special Town Meeting has been scheduled to consider a proposal submitted by the Broadband Committee, Municipal Light Board, and Municipal Light Plant Manager with the recommendation of the Selectboard and Finance Committee.
Back in 2015 when the Broadband Committee brought a funding proposal to the town, it was based on the state’s projected cost for our town-wide broadband project; unfortunately, their estimate was significantly below true costs. While the funding we have received has taken us through much of the project, our hope now is to get authorization from the town to increase our borrowing capacity to assure there will be sufficient funds to complete the project.
Why now and why so much? Our decision to come back to the town for further assistance was delayed, as we did not have figures for some of our larger expenses until very recently.
At the recommendation of the Finance Committee, we are using a worst-case scenario to determine our borrowing capacity request of $500,000 and thus anticipating that no further requests will be required to complete the project. We expect to borrow less money than we are requesting to be authorized and the unused borrowing capacity will not be a cost to the town.
Special Town Meeting, Monday, September 16 at 7:00pm in the Town Hall AnnexPlease come show your support for the project!
Please note: These prices are dependent on at least 75% of the homes in New Salem signing up for service. The Broadband Committee recommends that users select the 1 gigabit service. Not only is this forty times faster than the economy plan for only a minimal cost increase, but the extra cost will benefit the town by making the system more financially secure and less dependent on the town for any funding.
To simplify communication as the project moves forward, we are requesting that New Salem residents supply us with their email address.
- You can send an email to email@example.com with your name, New Salem property address and your preferred email address. Alternatively, there is a display at the library with forms that can be completed with this information.
- If you do not have an email address we can provide help to sign up for one. You can find forms to request this assistance at the library. You will need an email address to sign up for a New Salem internet connection when it become available.
More to come…
New Salem Broadband Committee
19 South Main Street
New Salem, MA 01355